What Is Zimbra Collaboration?
Zimbra Collaboration is an open source messaging and collaboration solution, trusted by more than 5,000 companies and public sector customers, and over 100 million end users, in over 140 countries. Zimbra includes complete email, address book, calendar, file-sharing and tasks, and can be accessed from the Zimbra Web client, MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and other standards-based email clients and mobile devices. You can deploy Zimbra as a traditional binary install on Linux or through one of our many Zimbra hosting providers.
Zimbra offers sophisticated email, calendaring and collaboration features, but is less complex to deploy/manage and is as much as 50% less expensive than Microsoft Exchange. Zimbra’s ability to offer varying class of services for different users is especially attractive to large and diverse companies and organizations. Zimbra enables high availability through support for virtualization, and online backup and restore, including at the individual mailbox level.
By providing a rich, consistent user experience on all major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux)—online through a Web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari) and via MS Outlook, Thunderbird and other desktop clients—Zimbra increases end-user satisfaction and reduces support costs and user training needs. The streamlined browser interface provides natural conversation; enables rich compose, cut and paste; and provides sophisticated and easy-to-customize filters. Users can easily manage and search large inboxes of email and voicemail messages, multiple calendars, contacts and task lists.
IT administrators can easily connect Zimbra to a unified communications solution to provide integrated click-to-call, voicemail, chat and presence for users. Zimbra includes out-of-the-box integration for Cisco and Mitel, with support for other unified communications solutions through an open API.
Zimbra has an easy-to-use Web-based administration console enabling IT administrators to securely access the application anywhere, anytime. Through the console, administrators can easily manage access and policies for a diverse set of users in a large organization. Zimbra also empowers end users through end-user self-service administration, reducing IT administration and support overhead and increasing end-user satisfaction.
Zimbra also supports both hierarchical storage management and multitenancy. Hierarchical storage management optimizes storage costs through tiered storage. Multitenancy enables service providers to cost-effectively support multiple businesses in a hosted environment.
- Rich browser-based interface with application features such as drag and drop, tagging and conversation views
- Ability to send and receive authenticated and encrypted email messages
- Comprehensive search-based inbox; ability to search within attachments; saved search folders
- Innovative calendar wizard that finds the optimal time and place for large meetings within seconds
- Effective sharing and collaboration with peers, including inboxes, contacts, calendars and tasks
- Robust enterprise calendars with shared free and busy times; interoperable with MS Exchange
- Innovative “hub” of communications that integrates third-party services as mashups or application tabs
- Real-time mailbox backup and restore; native hierarchical storage management
- Cross-mailbox discovery and archiving for regulatory compliance
- Integrated antispam, antivirus and directory services (LDAP, Active Directory)
- Open Web service APIs and REST interfaces
- Out-of-the-box integration with Cisco and Mitel for click-to-call, visual voicemail, call record history, presence and instant messaging
- Support through the Zimbra SDK for extending Zimbra to work with other third-party unified communications solutions such as eZuce
Flexible Deployment Options
- Full support for multitenancy and delegated administration for hosting and service providers
- Role-based delegated administration for creating domain settings or limited administration settings per account
- Customizable Web client experience
- Management of end-user features, quotas and storage policies via the Class-of-Service feature
Support for Other Desktop Email Clients
Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) synchronization to MS Outlook 2013/2010/2007/2003 with full delegate, offline access and support for S/MIME